This 11m Leyland Tiger with Plaxton Paramount MkII bodywork was new in 1985 as one of a batch of ten ordered by the West Riding Automobile Company limited of Wakefield. The whole batch were delivered in National Express livery and were intended to be used as DPs during the week whilst at weekends, they would be put to use by National Travel East on coastal expresses and duplicates.
On bus service de-regulation, West Riding established a new network of limited-stop services within their operating area called FASTAWAY so the Paramounts were quickly re-painted into that livery.
Passenger numbers were disappointing so it wasn't long before the idea was abandoned. Coaches working out of West Riding depots received a version of the Caldaire "slant" in green and cream whilst those working out of Yorkshire Woollen depots simply had the Fastaway transfers removed and YORKSHIRE BUSES applied above the front wheels.
Soon after, the whole batch were transferred to fellow-Caldaire company United. On arrival in the north-east, most simply had their fleetnames removed and UNITED transfers stuck on, regardless of the previous livery. Eventually, most were given United liveries and some, TEES livery. She carried United fleet number 1324 and was initially allocated to Peterlee depot, moving to Ripon in September 1993 before moving to Bishop Auckland in November 1996. She was withdrawn by United around October 1998.
West Riding 39 (C39CWT)
Chassis: Leyland Tiger 245
Body: Plaxton Paramount 3200 MkII C53F
Date new: 1986
Owner: Julie Aylward